Andy in my office had been asking me for months to make these Red Devil Cupcakes that he had seen, but when I initially looked at the recipe everything was in cups and had ingredients like buttermilk and white wine vinegar. I wasn’t entirely sure I’d be able to get these things.
Sadly Andy left work last week and as a leaving gift from me I promised to make the cupcakes on his last day. I managed to find a conversion for cups on the internet (or I could have bought cups – Kitchen N Sync sells them) and have shown the ingredients in grams and millilitres instead. I struggled to get hold of buttermilk, not because nowhere sells it but because it was out of stock. It was really easy to make my own – so it was all good!
I have to say the cupcakes were not really red, more a red-brown, which I was disappointed about and would consider revising the recipe if I were to make them again. The other thing that the original recipe said was to 1/2 – 3/4 fill the cupcake cases. I did 3/4 fill them (as you can see in the picture – far tray) and this was far too much mixture. About half of the cakes spilled over the top of the cases and I had to do some remedial work with them 🙂
The mixture is a pretty runny liquid and I think if I had used red gel colouring instead of liquid colouring (there was a lot of it) the mixture may have not have been so runny and perhaps not spilled over. You learn though and would recommend making these revisions if you are going to have a go yourself.
If anyone has had similar’ issues’ then I’d love to hear about them and what you did/didn’t do, what you would do differently next time etc.
Happy Baking! x